The original recipe was a hazelnut biscotti, but as I am not a hazelnut fan, I opted to go rogue, deciding on a chocolate cherry version with cocoa, cherry kirsch, almond extract, and dried cherries as substitutions. Other bakers suggested swapping out something of the flour for cocoa powder. I did this – using a third of a cup of cocoa, but the dough was so sticky that I ended up adding back most of the flour I’d replaced just to manage the dough.
I wondered if the dough was sticky because of the cocoa or if the original recipe was just as difficult to work with. I guess that’s an argument for making the recipe as is the first time around and improvising on round two.
I discovered a good trick for rolling out the logs – flour a piece of plastic wrap, plunk down half the dough, then wrap and roll. The recipe said the logs were supposed to be about twelve inches in length – mine didn’t quite make it.
During the first baking, I made a fatal error. I smelled the scorching of cocoa, but was afraid to take it out early, by about five minutes. Should have gone ahead and done it because the biscotti was bitter as a result and nothing could be done to fix it. I could have maybe tried some powdered sugar on the edges to sweeten it a bit, but they really weren’t salvageable. I think the texture was good (I went ahead with the second baking), but I will definitely read other bakers’ posts before attempting this one again.
If you want to try the original recipe, please visit homemadeandwholesome.wordpress.com